With summer underway, storm season is looming. It’s important to consider how severe summer weather can impact your family and home, and this includes not only wind and rain, but also lightning. Georgia Power offers the following safety tips when severe weather and lightning is in the forecast:
– Seek shelter inside away from doors and windows.
– Avoid electronic equipment of all types, including landline phones, as lightning can travel through electrical systems.
– Avoid indoor water use during a thunderstorm. Lightning can travel through plumbing.
– Never touch any downed or low hanging wires, and never pull tree limbs off power, telephone or cable lines after a storm.
– Never go near chain link fences – downed power lines or lightning strikes may energize the entire length of the fence.
– Never walk into areas where crews are at work. If driving near work crews, obey road signs and proceed cautiously.
Source: Georgia Power